Eastern Exploration

Capturing decay.

Airbase Damgarten

The airfield was built by the Luftwaffe in 1935. The runway had a length of 1325 meters and a width of 80 meters. Many other buildings were constructed inside the airbase like barracks and hangars. In April 1936, a military flight school was operated within the base. In the last days of World War 2 planes started from the airfield to carry out operations at the front line. At the end of April 1945 the last pilots left the airbase and it was captured by the Soviets without a fight on the 2nd of May 1945. After the war the area was used as a shipyard but returned to operate as an airfield in 1951. One year later a lot of the existing infrastructure was expanded by the Soviets who now used it for their fighter pilots. The runway was expanded to 2500 meters in 1961. A renovation was planned in 1990 but never carried out due to the political situation. The Soviet planes left to Russia in June 1994 and the airbase was closed down. Today a couple of buildings are used as a museum and the area is used to host the About You Pangea Festival yearly. However, most of the barracks are completely abandoned and decay further and further.

Our location rating:

Rating: 3 out of 5.

Next Post

Previous Post

© 2024 Eastern Exploration


Powered by TSAlliance