Eastern Exploration

Capturing decay.

Nikolaikirche Zeitz

After the first church on the ‘Nikolaiplatz’ was demolished in 1823, a new one was built in 1891, originally named the ‘Trinitatiskirche’. Plans for the building were made by Karl Memminger. The sandy floor on which the church was built made problems through its whole existence. In the early 1970s, the structural problems were so bad that the church was abandoned. A lighting struck the tower in 1998 which caused a big fire of the roof construction. After enough damage was done, the bell dropped through the whole tower down to the floor. There are currently no efforts or plans to save the church.

Our location rating:

Rating: 3 out of 5.

Next Post

Previous Post

© 2024 Eastern Exploration


Powered by TSAlliance