Eastern Exploration

Capturing decay.

Betriebsferienlager of the Buna-Werke

The holiday camp’s origins date back to 1949 when it was established as the pioneer camp “Martin Andersen Nexö.” In 1953, it was taken over by the Buna-Werke and continued as one of the 48 central pioneer camps. Initially, there were no permanent shelters, and the campers stayed in tents. Later 43 bungalows and 7 dormitories were built on the site. The meals were served in a central dining facility located in the upper part of the campsite. The camp had a capacity of approximately 800 children.

It was also one of the vacation camps where Thälmann pioneers and members of the ‘Freie Deutsche Jugend’ (FDJ) could spend their holidays. Children from abroad were also welcomed here, including from Czechoslovakia, Poland, the Soviet Union, and even West Germany through a holiday program organized by the Communist Party of Germany.

Economically, a central pioneer camp was supported by a company, in this case, the chemical factory Buna-Werke in Schkopau. The camp was managed by an official from the FDJ district leadership, and the supervisors were often teachers and students. After the end of the GDR in 1990, the Buna-Werke were taken over the Treuhand and the vacation camp was closed down.

Our location rating:

Rating: 3 out of 5.

Next Post

Previous Post

© 2024 Eastern Exploration


Powered by TSAlliance